Wednesday 2 May 2012

Submission


I run
Away from the world
Unfinished battles now behind
Pain makes its way,
crushing me in measures
taking pleasure in my misery.
I cry, I scream
My anguish in vain
Salty droplets trickle down my cheeks
And when despair digs deeper
I hear a faint voice
from a strangely familiar place
The echoes find me
And tug at my heart
‘Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar’
‘Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar’
'God is great' says a resounding voice 
No, he is greater
Greater than my worries
of losing battles, and fleeting pleasures
Greater than those pursuits which never really mattered
The distant voice now comes from within-
‘Ash-hadu an la ilaha illa allah’
I testify there is no God but Allah
The chain snaps
and my heart is set free
Million little things placed on a pedestal,
And worshipped night and day
Now seep out and instead,
Resides a growing flicker of belief
In Al Ahad, The One
All knowing, creator of each atom
‘Ash-hadu anna Muħammadan-Rasulullah
I testify that Muhammad is his prophet
A mercy to the mankind,
His life an example
His battles bigger, sorrows deeper
Trials endless, night and day
Testing him when his wife-Khadijah-was no more
Still mourning a lifetime of love now lost, 
news came that his uncle too was gone
His grief was immense but his submission was greater
He let the tears flow but with them to Allah he turned
The echoes now get stronger 
‘Hayya 'ala s-salah
It invites me to submission
To take my heart to it's Protector
The Giver of Peace can rejoin those pieces! 
Hayya 'ala 'l-falah
And now a call to success
Success- which I yearned for
never rested in this dunya
It lay in a greater purpose
And here was a reminder
‘Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar’
‘Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar’
‘La ilaha illa allah’
The voice ceases but leaves a seed in my heart
A prayer escapes my lips,
‘Oh Allah, I need your help!’
Before a blink the seed sprouts
It's spring so soon!
Now firmly rooting itself in that vulnerable flesh 
Tiny tendrils of faith now burst out,
Wiping away years of neglect,
mending gashes that the dunya gifted
You see after the world I ran
A mirage, always out of reach
A tantalising illusion, toying with my fantasies
A perpetual game of hide and seek where I was the loser
What happiness I had, I lost it in its chase
But with this seed came new hope
A new leaf, a new life
A purer pursuit
Splash
Cool water on my hands and face,
Up till the elbows and above the ankles
Cleansing body and soul
I watch the drops as they fall off my face
With them go my sins
And my fears slink away
I stand now
United with my new family,
Transcending boundaries, ignoring colours 
A tie stronger than blood, bound by faith
One Lord, One direction
A straight path now illuminated
I raise my hands- Allahu Akbar
Now forehead on the ground,
Acknowledging his greatness
I’ve now submitted.
My journey has begun
And peace, is now here.





1 comment:

  1. I came here today just to read this again..
    Thank you for this..

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?